Thursday, January 06, 2011

TUBES! TUBES! TUBES!

Yes!
Kyla will finally be getting ear tubes placed in her ears a week from Monday. We had her ENT appointment over the holiday break, and there was no fooling: the girl needs them. She's had constant ear infections the entire length of 2010, and sometimes they are full of puss, sometimes just fluid. She's had fluid in her right ear for at least 2 months, and when we had the Audiologist check her ears prior to the ENT meet up, it was confirmed that there is "no movement" in her right ear- meaning that the fluid is not allowing the ear drum to vibrate (um, SOUND WAVES!). The left was OK, and THANK GOD, she did pass her hearing test with "normal" hearing. We'll have her tubes appointment, and then have a follow up with the ENT a few weeks afterwards to double check on how things are going inside that little head of hers.
To say I am relieved is an understatement. I have had a stomach full of knots since the early Fall. Once she hit the "many" mark of the number of infections she had, including a double ear infection in the middle of summer, I knew in my gut she needed tubes. Of course, things can TAKE TIME in the medical field, and I regret that I didn't push hard enough to get this done sooner.
But, in the meantime, she is a happy and somewhat healthy girl, who is picking up things beyond our expectations. She is able to follow directions like nobodies business, and she turning into quite the chatterbox (finally). However, I have noticed she doesn't move her lips often enough to many many sounds, and she has a "tone" to her speech that (to me) sounds like there is a possible hearing loss (even though hearing came out normal)
Needless to say, I'm excited and nervous for the tubes adventure, and I hope and pray that this keeps my girl in better health in the future!

2 comments:

LutherLiz said...

Yay! I'm happy for little Kyla and I hope this helps with all the ear troubles!

Wendy and Karen said...

Hurray for tubes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails