Friday, January 23, 2009

Another day, another doc....

..well, in our case, the same doctor.

Let's see. K slept great last night until the Motrin wore off,the she was up at 1:30 AM with a burning 104 fever. Her heartbeat was so fast, and she was having fast breathing, so we nebbed her, thinking that would help. Well, that helped get her all wound up- CJ and I forgot that when we neb her at night, sometimes she gets goofy about getting back into bed -screaming "no no no" like we're torturing her by putting her in the crib.

So, we spent the night taking turns holding her in the rocking chair and she slept on us. What a fun night. She was up for the day around 5:30 AM, too early for my liking after not having slept all night. She was better - we could tell, but "goofy". Dancing all stumbly around, and just being silly. She refused to eat, but had some Pedialyte. I called Urgent Care to see if the strep test was done: nope, not yet. Results were "pending" and could take up to 24 hours after last night.

We spent the AM playing and I put her in for a nap around 9ish. Well, I let her scream for almost an hour, because the girl needed to sleep. She finally calmed down and slept for over an hour- until the mail lady brought us a package and the dogs woke her up (*grr*).

We had a half bowl of soup and then she said "bath, bath" and climbed the stairs. So I stripped her for the tub. As I stripped her, I noticed her fingertips and lips were almost purple (bluish) so I made the water warmer and quickly cleaned her up. She started trembling and I got her quickly dried off, "lotion all done" (meaning "no lotion today, mama"), and wrapped in a blanket on the couch.

I called the nurse line again at Urgent Care. Test results were back: negative for strep, and it was up to me if I wanted to bring her in or not (regarding the blue /purple fingers).

I force fed some more Motrin in her, and packed her up. Off to the doc we went, and saw the same one as last night. Luckily he knew our story. He said the tonsils today looked "75% better" than last night (thank God) and that if the fever isn't broken on it's own by tomorrow night, then we'll go back in for some blood work, and who knows what else. She was much better in the office (thanks to the Motrin) but hated the exam by the doctor. I'm sure people thought we were torturing her in the room when he checked her throat. "All done, all done!" she screamed.

She slept on the drive home and is napping again. Please sleep, baby and let mama rest, too.


Jamie said...

Poor K (and Mama!)! I hope she feels better soon!

kristine said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you guys are having such a hard time. Hopefully all is returning to normal now!

Piccinigirl said...

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry...K I do hope you are feeling much better today. you poor little girl. Being sick is no picnic as big people but for little ones, ouchie!!!

sending big hugs to both of you!!!


Related Posts with Thumbnails